Citations are written throughout the entire year, 24 hours per day, 365 days per year whether or not school is in session. Citations may be paid online or in person at the Parking and Transit Services office. A financial hold on student accounts for citations will be lifted within an hour after payment.
Citations may be appealed within fourteen calendar days of receiving a parking citation. If you submit an appeal, you will be notified by e-mail of the appeal decision. Please allow up to two weeks to receive the decision. If your appeal is not sustained, you will have up to fourteen calendar days from the date processed (recorded at the bottom of the appeal decision form) to pay in order to avoid a 50 percent penalty.
To file an application for a higher appeal, visit Parking and Transit Services at 2121 Stephenson Drive.
The following are not acceptable reasons for dismissing a citation and not valid as the basis for appeal:
- Lack of knowledge of the regulations or did not see posted regulation/signage
- Other vehicles were parked improperly
- Only parked illegally for a short period of time/blinkers were on
- Stated failure of parking officer to ticket previously for similar offenses
- Late to class or appointment
- Inability to pay the amount of the fine
- No other place to park
- Permission to park given by anyone other than a Parking and Transit Services employee
- Inclement weather conditions
- Parked in a Handicap Accessible access aisle (hash mark area)
How to avoid a citation
- Always have your permit displayed.
- If your windshield is tinted at the top, tape the permit to the lower driver’s side of the windshield.
- Always park between the white lines and don’t block drive ways.
- Obey timed parking zones like Circle Park or loading zones.
- Finally, when in doubt, refer to your parking map for policy and location, or call Parking and Transit Services at 865-974-6031.
Metered parking on campus
All meters on campus are provided and enforced by the City of Knoxville. Regardless of whether or not you have a valid UT parking permit, you are still required to pay parking meters. Meters are enforced 24/7. If you receive a citation at a meter, follow the directions given on the ticket.