Student Permit Purchase Instructions
Before continuing to purchase a student permit, you will need the following information:
- NetID and password
- Credit card or access to MyUTK
- License plate number
- License plate registration expiration date
- Make, model, year, and color of the vehicle(s) you will be driving to campus
Students are required to purchase their commuter or non-commuter (residential) parking permit online.
Sorority (GS), Fraternity (GF), and accessible permits are only sold in person at Parking & Transit office located at 2121 Stephenson Dr (off Joan Cronan Way & Neyland Dr). These are processed in house because specific documentation is required to purchase one of these permits.
Online permit sales are open year-round.
Receipt and Temporary Permit – At the end of transaction print the 14 day temporary permit to park in your designated area.
Hang tags are mailed the next business day from the vendor. Permits are not available to pick up in office.
Click the link below to purchase your permit:
>>> Purchase a Student Permit <<<
New to campus? You may purchase your parking permit on the first business day following the day you register for classes.
Note: Graduate Students are classified as students by the University of Tennessee, so please purchase a student parking permit.
2018-19 Permit Rates
Student Permits and Rates for Fall 2018 and Spring 2019:
(On sale 4-16-18)
- Non-Commuter Permit (N/NW/NA): $294
- Commuter (C/CW/CA): $188
- Evening (T/TW/TA): $40
- Fraternity or Sorority (GF/GFW/GFA/GS/GSW/GSA): $269
UT Student Permit Rates (Mini-session, Summer)
(On sale 4-15-19)
- Non-Commuter Permit (NS/NSW): $100
- Commuter (CS/CSW): $63
- Evening (TS/TSW): $13.50
- Fraternity or Sorority (GFS/GFSW/GSS/GSSW): $70
Permits are valid for a specific time period. Below are those dates:
School Year (Fall & Spring) valid August 15th to May 15th
Summer Permit valid May 15th to August 15th
One Day Permit – Temporary parking for student areas may be purchased at rate of $5.00 per day when space is available
Deadlines, Rules, Regulations, and Limitations
Students must register a vehicle
- By the first day of class or
- Within 72 hours of acquiring a vehicle later in the semester.
- A temporary permit is required during this 72-hour period
|Type of Permit||Where can I park||When can I park||Permit Dates|
|Commuter||Any C space||6 am to 3 am (no overnight privileges)||Aug 15 to May 15|
|Non-Commuter (residential, on-campus)||Any N space||24/7||Aug 15 to May 15|
|Motorcycle Commuter||Any M space||6 am to 3 am (no overnight privileges)||Aug 15 to Aug 15|
|Motorcycle Non-Commuter||Any R space||24/7||Aug 15 to Aug 15|
|Fraternity||Any GF space||24/7||Aug 15 to May 15|
|Sorority (residents of Sorority Village only)||Any GS space||24/7||Aug 15 to May 15|
|Evening||1. Any C space
2. Any Unreserved Staff Space
|1. After 3 pm to 3 am
2. After 4 pm to 3 am
|Aug 15 to May 15|
*NOTE: In addition to the above privileges, any student with any regular student type of paid permit (C, N, T, GF, GS) may park in Commuter or unreserved Staff spaces between 5:00 pm and 3:00 am. The vehicle MUST be moved by 3:00 am or it will be subject to citation and/or towing.
Accessible/Handicapped Parking Permits are also available for each category listed above. (If you are a Commuter Accessible (CA) your parking time-frame would be 6 am to 3 am.)
Accessible permit holders may park in:
- Accessible/Handicapped signed spaces
- Any Unreserved S, C, or N space
Fall/Spring school year permits expire on May 15th. If you are working on campus or attending Mini or Summer sessions, you need to purchase a Summer Parking Permit.
During Football Season parking on the University of Tennessee Knoxville campus in Staff or Commuter spaces is assigned to UT Athletics and you must have a current valid Football Parking Permit to park on campus.
During other Special Events, parking lots around certain venues are utilized for Special Event Paid Public Parking and signs will indicate the timing of these needs. Commuters or Staff will be instructed on what alternative parking options are available.
- Fall – Students wishing to park on campus in the fall semester must purchase the permit for the full academic year; however, students who no longer need to park on campus after the fall semester may return their permit in person to the Parking and Transit Services office after the fall semester for a partial refund.
- Typically in the fall, a full refund is given one week after classes begin, two weeks with a withdrawal slip from school, and thereafter only a 1/2 refund is given.
- December Graduate – A student who is graduating in December or no longer needs their permit can return his/her permit for a 50 percent refund. The permit must be turned in directly to the Parking and Transit Services office. The deadline for a refund is typically one week after the spring semester begins.
- Spring – A student who needs a permit for only the spring semester may purchase one beginning in mid-December, prior to the spring semester. The price will be half of a fall/spring permit. Permits are sold for spring semester as long as they are available.
- Summer – Summer permits have similar half-price refunds when they are returned between summer sessions. Permits may be returned directly to the Parking and Transit Services office. View our regulations for more information.
Parking permits are required on the University of Tennessee Knoxville campus 24/7/365.
Due to the volume of activities on the UT campus year around, we monitor and manage continually including during the summer, on holiday break, and weekends.
In addition, certain streets around the UT campus are maintained by the City of Knoxville and they also monitor 24/7/365.