UT supports advanced transportation technologies by offering 27 EV Charging Stations! 22 EV stations are available for students, faculty, and staff, plus 1 NEW “Smart” Charger (fees apply at this one) available for campus and the general public.
The campus also has 4 additional chargers at two locations dedicated to UT Fleet vehicles.
Here are the locations for 23 students, staff, and faculty, and also the last one – the NEW “Smart Charger” allows general public usage.
- Staff 23 (5 unreserved chargers and 1 ADA charger) at Pat Head Summitt Street (behind Temple Hall)
- Agriculture Campus (5 unreserved chargers and 1 ADA charger) at 2402 Chapman Drive (by the Central Greenhouse)
- Top level of the 11th Street Garage (6 unreserved chargers) (this is the only garage with charging stations)
- Facilities Services (4 unreserved chargers) at 2040 Sutherland Avenue
- Staff 7 (1 “Smart Charger”) at Neyland Dr (next to Tickle Engineering) NOTE: Charging Rates Apply at this one location. General public is also allowed to use this charger without a UT parking permit.
Click here for page about NEW “Smart” Charger – result of Heath Integrated Business and Engineering Program Student Project
Electric Vehicle (EV) Charger Signage
Due to the unique nature of EV parking areas, a custom sign has been installed at each location to clearly and concisely convey the purpose and requirements associated with the EV spaces.
Fall 2021 EV Charger Station Map revised Oct 2021
Special Electric Vehicle Permits Are Required
Students, Faculty, Staff, and Visitors may obtain an EV parking permit from:
UT Parking Office (2121 Stephenson Drive off Neyland & Joan Cronan Way)
- Student, Staff, and Faculty (with a current valid UT parking permit)
This special permit will be provided at no additional charge to any student, faculty, or staff with a valid UT parking permit.
- Students, staff, and faculty may charge in any of the three areas on main campus regardless of your assigned parking area.
- Special EV parking permits must be renewed every year.
- Campus visitors (or anyone without a regular UT student, faculty, or staff parking permit) are available at the standard daily parking rate of $5.00 and would be valid for up to four hours on the day of issuance.
Regulations and Policies
The EV Charger parking areas fall under standard UT Parking Regulations and Policies, which require a UT parking permit to park on campus.
- Parking at a recharging station will be limited to four (4) hours. This time limit assists in creating turnover for the spaces in order to maximize their availability and use by EV vehicle owners.
- Overnight parking at EV charger spaces will not be permitted.
- No charging 3am to 6am.
- Parking for vehicles that cannot be properly coupled to the EV charger plug and charged is strictly prohibited (e.g., gas powered vehicles, standard hybrid vehicles such as the Prius, electric GEM vehicles, etc.).
- Users of EV chargers shall follow all instructions to ensure the safe and proper use of chargers, including proper storage of the charging cord and plug after use.
- EV charging stations are not available for special events, including football, basketball, concerts, etc. unless the person has a football/basketball parking permit for that area or has purchased a special event parking permit.
Failure to abide by the UT Parking Regulations and the EV Charger Parking Area requirements may result in issuance of a citation and/or towing of the vehicle.
The current number of charging stations is meeting the current demand. If demand increases, we will explore additional options.
Where are the other nearby EV Charging Stations?